La forza del destino

Buy tickets
PreviousNovember 2021
Mo
Tu
We
Th
Fr
Sa
Su

Melodramma in 4 acts
Libretto by Francesco Maria Piave
New text-version by Antonio Ghislanzoni
First performance on 10th [22nd] November, 1862 at St. Petersburg
Premiered at the Deutschen Oper Berlin on 8th September, 2019


Recommended from 14 years on


In Italian with German and English surtitles


3 hrs 30 mins / 1 interval


Pre-performance lecture (in German): 45 minutes prior to each performance

Program and cast

Conductor: Paolo Arrivabeni

Director: Frank Castorf

Set design: Aleksandar Denic

Costume design: Adriana Braga Peretzki

Light design: Lothar Baumgarte

Video design and live camera: Kathrin Krottenthaler, Maryvonne Riedelsheimer, Andreas Deinert

Chorus-Conductor: Jeremy Bines

The Marquis of Calatrava: Stephen Bronk

Donna Leonora: Liudmyla Monastyrska

Don Carlo di Vargas: Roman Burdenko

Don Alvaro: Russell Thomas

Preziosilla: Jana Kurucová

Padre Guardiano: Patrick Guetti

Fra Melitone: Misha Kiria

Curra: Karis Tucker

Alkalde: Tyler Zimmerman

Mastro Trabuco: Andrew Dickinson

Chirurgus: Byung Gil Kim

The Indio: N. N.

Chorus: Chor der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Orchestra: Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Deutsche Oper Berlin

The Deutsche Oper Berlin is an opera company located in the Charlottenburg district of Berlin, Germany. The resident building is the country's second largest opera house and also home to the Berlin State Ballet.

The company's history goes back to the Deutsches Opernhaus built by the then independent city of Charlottenburg—the "richest town of Prussia"—according to plans designed by Heinrich Seeling from 1911. It opened on November 7, 1912 with a performance of Beethoven's Fidelio, conducted by Ignatz Waghalter. After the incorporation of Charlottenburg by the 1920 Greater Berlin Act, the name of the resident building was changed to Städtische Oper (Municipal Opera) in 1925.

Deutsches Opernhaus, 1912
With the Nazi Machtergreifung in 1933, the opera was under control of the Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda. Minister Joseph Goebbels had the name changed back to Deutsches Opernhaus, competing with the Berlin State Opera in Mitte controlled by his rival, the Prussian minister-president Hermann Göring. In 1935, the building was remodeled by Paul Baumgarten and the seating reduced from 2300 to 2098. Carl Ebert, the pre-World War II general manager, chose to emigrate from Germany rather than endorse the Nazi view of music, and went on to co-found the Glyndebourne opera festival in England. He was replaced by Max von Schillings, who acceded to enact works of "unalloyed German character". Several artists, like the conductor Fritz Stiedry or the singer Alexander Kipnis followed Ebert into emigration. The opera house was destroyed by a RAF air raid on 23 November 1943. Performances continued at the Admiralspalast in Mitte until 1945. Ebert returned as general manager after the war.

After the war, the company in what was now West Berlin used the nearby building of the Theater des Westens until the opera house was rebuilt. The sober design by Fritz Bornemann was completed on 24 September 1961. The opening production was Mozart's Don Giovanni. The new building opened with the current name.

© Günter Karl Bose
© Thomas Aurin
© Bettina Stöß
© Thomas Aurin
Related events